First Year Experience at MSJC
Mt. San Jacinto College’s First Year Experience (FYE) Program is designed to make sure all first-time students have a successful transition into college life. We provide first-year students with extra support through strategic programming that focuses on positive academic transitions and the development of their educational planning during the on-boarding process. FYE is here to help you connect with the college and identify a degree path that leads to a degree completion or transfer.
Through partnerships with faculty, staff, and students, our program creates the space for students to define how they will engage, learn, and thrive at MSJC. Equity and Social Justice are a high priority at MSJC and the FYE program is committed in providing a welcoming and inclusive environment so that all first-time students have the opportunity to grow, learn and lead at MSJC and beyond.
Any first-time college student can become part of the First Year Experience! Previous dual or concurrent enrollment students who took courses through MSJC are welcome to apply. Students with incoming transferring units are not considered first time college students.
*NOTE: Please fill out the FYE Interest Form, as this will be our current application for the First Year Experience Program. Students who meet the requirements wil be sent an FYE acceptance email as soon as the deadline, May 31st, ends to verify requirments were met.
To ensure you receive early registration, students will need to complete the FYE Interest Form before May 31, 2023 to receive benefits for the Fall 2023 semester. Students who have applied after May 31st could have applied to receive benefits for the Spring 2024 semester between June 1-August 25, 2023.
To join the FYE Program, you must complete the following steps:
- Apply to MSJC and begin the New Student Enrollment Steps
- Steps found within the link above can be found at msjc.edu/ENROLL.
- Attend a First-Semester Planning Session
- At the First-Semester Planning Session, Counseling will provide you with your first semester of classes for your educational plan, identify the math/English courses right for you, learn about resources, and identify your next steps.
- Complete the FYE Interest Form
- The FYE Interest Form must be completed by May 31st, 2023, to receive early registration for Fall 2023. Interest Forms submitted prior to May 31, 2023, would have received early registration for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024.
- Sign up and attend a 1-Day Summer Bridge that will be offered from June 12th-August
- Students interested in the FYE Program are strongly encouraged to attend Summer Bridge, please review the list of dates and times on our Summer Bridge tab.
- Update (3/28/2023): Summer Bridge is now open for the 2023-2024 school year, be sure to sign up for only one session as only one is required.
- Receive the FYE acceptance email and begin your JOURNEY!
- Once a student is admitted into the FYE program, they can access benefits such as early registration, FYE counseling, workshops, and so much more!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach us at email@example.com
The First Year Experience Program has a diverse number of benefits that will allow students to be successful during their first two semesters at Mt. San Jacinto College, these benefits include:
- Early Registration for all MSJC classes to assist with enrolling in desired courses
- Summer Bridge is an FYE orientation event designed to enhance new students' transition into college
- Bridge to Counseling to connect students with academic planning, personal counseling, and career development to ensure they graduate within two years and complete their educational goals
- First Year Experience Navigators are a team of caring professionals dedicated to supporting the success of First Year Students
- FYE workshops and events that will prepare students for college life and experiences
First time college students who are applying to MSJC with no previous college credits (with the exception of dual enrollment or concurrent enrollment) are encouraged to participate in the FYE Program.
Students who accumulated credits at either MSJC or another college in the past and are now returning to MSJC are not considered first-year students. To learn more about steps you need to complete as a Returning Student, please visit msjc.edu/apply.
If you would like to stop by to connect with our FYE team, you can stop by the San Jacinto Campus in room 1253 or Menifee Valley Campus in room 501.
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9:00am-5:00pm.
“My good start at MSJC was because of the FYE program. I was able to get the classes I needed, meet with my counselor, and make an ed. plan for my two years at MSJC.” - David Nampi
"As a student who was making the transition from high school to college, the FYE program gave me a foundation for success by getting the classes I needed, helping me meet with a counselor, and creating an educational plan for my two years at MSJC. I cannot thank the FYE program enough for helping me transfer into a university to finish my remaining two years." - Roberto Macias
“When I heard about the First Year Experience Program during the summer right before I was about to start my first semester ever at college, I was very interested in the program because I heard that it helped first year students manage how to get through the scary first year of college. Within joining this program, it was very beneficial for me because the counselors, such as Mrs. Diana Serrano were very helpful for me because coming into college, I really did not know what I wanted to do in life. Being my FYE counselor, Mrs. Serrano always helped guide me with education plans and career path options. My time in the FYE program was very fun and beneficial, and it really helped me through the first-year jitters of college.” - Daemon Abubo
The First Year Experience Program can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also follow the FYE Program on Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, and Facebook. Our handle for each of these platforms is @msjcfye