First Year Experience at MSJC
Mt. San Jacinto College’s First Year Experience (FYE) Program is designed to make sure all first-time students have a successful transition into college life. We provide first-year students with extra support through strategic programming that focuses on positive academic transitions and the development of their educational planning during the on-boarding process. FYE is here to help you connect with the college and identify a degree path that leads to a degree completion or transfer.
Through partnerships with faculty, staff, and students, our program creates the space for students to define how they will engage, learn, and thrive at MSJC. Equity and Social Justice are a high priority at MSJC and the FYE program is committed in providing a welcoming and inclusive environment so that all first-time students have the opportunity to grow, learn and lead at MSJC and beyond.
Any first-time college student can become part of the First Year Experience! Previous dual or concurrent enrollment students who took courses through MSJC are welcome to apply. Students with incoming transferring units are not considered first time college students.
The FYE Application must be completed by August 12, 2022, to receive early registration for Spring 2023. Applications submitted prior to May 31, 2022, would have received early registration for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023.
To receive the latest information on behalf of the FYE program, please use your personal email when applying. If you already have an MSJC student email, you can use it when applying.
To join the FYE Program, you must complete the following steps:
- Apply to MSJC and begin the New Student Enrollment Steps
- Steps found within the link above can be found at msjc.edu/ENROLL.
- Complete the FYE application for the Spring 2023 semester by August 12, 2022
- The FYE Application must be completed by August 12, 2022, to receive early registration for Spring 2023. Applications submitted prior to May 31, 2022, would have received early registration for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023.
- Sign up and attend a 1-Day Summer Bridge that will be offered from June 13th-July
- Students interested in the FYE Program are strongly encouraged to attend Summer Bridge, please review the list of dates and times on our Summer Bridge tab.
- Schedule an hour-long appointment with an FYE Counselor.
- Students will want to meet with a counselor at least once a semester to discuss classes to take, such as the Student Success Seminar 900 – SSS990 or College Success and Career Readiness – CSCR 100 during Summer or Fall semester.
- Receive the FYE acceptance email and begin your JOURNEY!
- Once a student is admitted into the FYE program, they can access benefits such as early registration, FYE counseling, workshops, and so much more!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The First Year Experience Program has a diverse number of benefits that will allow students to be successful during their first two semesters at Mt. San Jacinto College, these benefits include:
- Early Registration for all MSJC classes to assist with enrolling in desired courses
- Summer Bridge is an FYE orientation event designed to enhance new students' transition into college
- First Year Experience Counselor assists students with academic planning, personal counseling, and career development to ensure they graduate within two years and complete their educational goals
- First Year Experience Navigators are a team of caring professionals dedicated to supporting the success of First Year Students
- FYE workshops and events that will prepare students for college life and experiences
First time college students who are applying to MSJC with no previous college credits (with the exception of dual enrollment or concurrent enrollment) are encouraged to participate in the FYE Program.
Students who accumulated credits at either MSJC or another college in the past and are now returning to MSJC are not considered first-year students. To learn more about steps you need to complete as a Returning Student, please visit msjc.edu/ENROLL.
Student Success Seminar (SSS) Course is a zero-cost entry course for FYE Students, designed to introduce college culture, academic success and strategies. First-Year students that are interested in being part of the First Year Experience must register and take the SSS Course.
This course is designed to develop thinking strategies that can be used for lifelong problem solving in academic, social, and personal life. It introduces critical thinking, information literacy, college resources, motivating factors, and study skills for student success.
Students can register for the Student Success Seminar Course by logging into Self-Service. For more information about registering for courses, please visit How Do I Register for Classes?
College Success and Career Readiness 100 is another course that will count in place of SSS 990. It is a 3-unit, fee based transferable course.
If you are part of another program at MSJC such as Puente or Umoja or an Athletic Program CSCR100 would be the course for you to take Fall 2022.
This course is designed to empower students with effective strategies for making wise choices in three areas: personal, academic, and career pathways. The course focuses on a strong clear reason for staying in school, more ability to cope with the challenges of transitioning into a new life, educational planning, learning styles, campus resources, and effective strategies for personal health and wellness.
Students can register for the CSCR 100 Course by logging into Self-Service. For more information about registering for courses, please visit How Do I Register for Classes?
“My good start at MSJC was because of the FYE program. I was able to get the classes I needed, meet with my counselor, and make an ed. plan for my two years at MSJC.” - David Nampi
"As a student who was making the transition from high school to college, the FYE program gave me a foundation for success by getting the classes I needed, helping me meet with a counselor, and creating an educational plan for my two years at MSJC. I cannot thank the FYE program enough for helping me transfer into a university to finish my remaining two years." - Roberto Macias
“As an FYE student, I came to MSJC prepared. I had the most amazing counselor, Diana Serrano, who guided me throughout my whole college journey. I transitioned and adapted well at MSJC because of the FYE program.” - Brianna Rios
“When I heard about the First Year Experience Program during the summer right before I was about to start my first semester ever at college, I was very interested in the program because I heard that it helped first year students manage how to get through the scary first year of college. Within joining this program, it was very beneficial for me because the counselors, such as Mrs. Diana Serrano were very helpful for me because coming into college, I really did not know what I wanted to do in life. Being my FYE counselor, Mrs. Serrano always helped guide me with education plans and career path options. My time in the FYE program was very fun and beneficial, and it really helped me through the first-year jitters of college.” - Daemon Abubo
“My experience at MSJC was the best and I was honored to have the right guidance through my journey there with my counselor Diana Serrano with FYE program. If I needed help she was there to guide me and also my mentor sending every week reminders. I think that FYE is the best program to assist and guide a student so they can not feel being alone in their new journey, I recommend to anyone.” - Yesenia Carrillo
The First Year Experience Program can be contacted via email at email@example.com
You can also follow the FYE Program on Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, and Facebook. Our handle for each of these platforms is @msjcfye