FAQ | How do waitlists work?
Once all available seats in a section are filled, there may be an option to add to a Waitlist as long as...
- The Waitlist is not full. A waitlist holds a maximum of double the section capacity.
- The Waitlist is not closed. Waitlists close the day before the class beings.
- The class allows a Waitlist. (NOTE: Learning Community Courses do not allow a waitlist)
In an effort to gauge student demand for courses, Mt. San Jacinto College has expanded section wait list capacity from 10 spots to double the section capacity. The section capacity can be seen when searching for sections. It is unlikely that you will be added to the class if 10 or more people are ahead of you on the waitlist . However, adding yourself to the wait list will help MSJC determine where more sections need to be added. To the extent possible, additional sections may be added when the waitlist shows the demand.
How to Add to a Waitlist via Self-Service:
- Login to your Self-Service student account and go to the Plan & Schedule option under the Academics menu.
- Use the Search menu at the top right of the screen to find the course you are looking for.
- From the search results, click on the View Sections drop down menu on the course details.
- From the available sections listed, click on the Add Section to Plan button and then go back to the Plan & Schedule grid (link towards the top left of the screen).
- The course and section has now been planned and will appear on your schedule grid.
- Click on the Waitlist button below the course/section listing on your schedule grid to add yourself to the waitlist.
What prevents students from adding themselves to a Waitlist?
- Enrollment appointment date/time has not yet been reached.
- Student has a hold on his/her account.
- The last day to add to the waitlist has passed.
- Waitlist is at its capacity.
- Already enrolled in another section of the same course.
How to Manage Your Waitlist:
Once you have added yourself to a waitlist, you will see your Rank displayed on your schedule in Self-Service. As seats become available in the section, students from the waitlist will be autoenrolled and your rank will move up.
You will be notified via MSJC student email and/or phone call if you have been “auto-enrolled” when a space becomes available. In the event that you are automatically enrolled into a section from a waitlist, all registratin fees and due dates are applied. You must drop yourself from the course to avoid any penalties.
If you are no longer interested in a section you are waitlisted for, it is recommended that you remove yourself from the waitlist by clicking on the Remove from Waitlist button on your schedule in Self-Service.
What is the autoenroll process?
Once a class is full and a Waitlist has been started, as students enrolled in the class drop the course the Autoenroll process will fill the vacant seats with students on the Waitlist, prioritized by their Rank/Seat number. As students are auto-enrolled, they will receive an automated phone call and/or email for notification.
IMPORTANT: As your Rank number gets closer to the #1 seat, check your waitlist status frequently to see if you have been automatically enrolled into the course. It is the student’s responsibility to verify enrollment and pay any fees by their due date to avoid being dropped from the course and removed from the waitlist. During the registration period, students have 4 calendar days (including weekends and holidays) to pay their fees. Beginning one week prior to the start of the term, payment is due the SAME DAY as registration. Payment can be made in the Finance module within Self-Service with a credit card, or in person at the Cashier's office during open hours.
Students will NOT be auto-enrolled from the Waitlist if any one of the following conditions exists:
- Current enrollment in a different section of the same course.
- Time conflict between a currently enrolled class and the waitlisted class.
- Corequisites or prerequisites for the wait list class are not met.
- Term unit limit is exceeded: fall and spring, 20.0; summer 8.0.
- Course repetition: Student is seeking to repeat a course already completed.
- The course requires instructor consent.
What should I do if I'm still on the Waitlist once the class starts?
Once the waitlist closes, instructors are provided a list of students who were waitlisted in the event that they are able to add extra students with add authorizations.
Students that have not been auto-enrolled prior to the start of the class are strongly encouraged to attend the first class meeting if the class is offered on campus, and monitor their student email if the course is offered online. Instructors will communicate to students who were on the waitlist via email to let them know if a space becomes available. At that time, if the instructor is able to add you they will issue you add authorization to complete the registration via Self-Service.