How to Become a Student Peer Tutor
Welcome! We are so pleased that you have decided to fill out an application to become more engaged with your peers, staff, and faculty on campus. The application period for the Spring 2024 Semester is now open. If you have any questions please scroll down to the bottom of this page for contact information.
Here are our guidelines and requirements to keep in mind:
- Tutoring is for everyone at MSJC, and we strive to support our high priority students.
Therefore, we are looking for students who understand what it’s like to learn and
sometimes struggle. Please know that a high GPA is only one marker of success. We
will also look at your application and transcript thoroughly, so please tell us about
how you have worked through any obstacles and how you will help students. There is
a specific space in the Student Peer Tutor Application for this information.
- Math and English courses are foundational to tutoring, so we do expect that you have
completed your 100 level math and English courses.
- A student tutor needs to be an active, current student, and student worker regulations
require that you be taking at least 6 units. This only makes you a better tutor because
you are still on your academic journey while helping MSJC students.
- While we do like to support all academic disciplines, keep in mind that most of our
demand is for math, science, and writing. Therefore, please let us know what you would
like to tutor, but be sure to list any math, science, or writing intensive courses
you have taken.
- An initial 12 hours of tutor training is required to become a tutor, and while we
cannot guarantee you employment, the training will be paid. We will begin by choosing pre-qualified students to complete our training, based
on the needs of our program. When you successfully complete the training, you will
be considered for employment as a student peer tutor.
- If there are any extenuating circumstances or additional information that you think we need to know in considering your application, please include a statement in the Student Peer Tutor Application. There is a specific space for this.
- Completed online application. (Google Form - Spring 2024 MSJC LRC Peer Tutor Application
- A letter of recommendation, via our Google LOR Form - MSJC Faculty LOR Google Form for Peer Tutors, from at least one professor (preferably two). The letter should include the class(es)
you took with the professor, the grade earned, and reason for recommending.
- A copy (PDF) of your unofficial transcripts (upload in application - Google Form)
- A brief statement about yourself and why you are interested in tutoring (upload in application - Google Form)
Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you! Please don’t hesitate to reach
out if you have any questions at all. We realize that this might be your first job,
and we are here to support you!
Menifee Valley Campus
LRC Coordinator: Ted Blake
TSS: Maria M Aquino
San Jacinto Campus
LRC Coordinator: Evelyn Menz
TSS: Connie Hill