MSJC Equity Pledge
Mt. San Jacinto College is committed to supporting the diversity of its students and communities. We are proud to unveil our new MSJC Equity Pledge ...
We, the Mt. San Jacinto College Faculty, Classified Professionals, and Administrators, acknowledge there are systemic barriers that have historically excluded and prevented equal outcomes for students on the basis of:
- Gender Identity and Expression
- National Origin
- Socioeconomic status
- Physical Appearance
- Intersections of these identities.
Therefore, we define equity as an investment and commitment to achieving parity in academic outcomes by removing institutional barriers and creating an inclusive and culturally affirming learning environment. As such, we are dedicated to challenging our perceptions, biases, and blind spots through self-reflection and constant inquiry to identify and eliminate equity gaps and reinvest in our communities.
Our purpose is to celebrate diversity, instill hope, and empower our students to transform their lives and those around them.
We believe in the Community College system Vision for Success - making sure students from all backgrounds succeed in reaching their goals and improving their families and communities. We have bold and straightforward goals to significantly increase the numbers of student transferring to a UC or CSU campus; increasing the numbers of students earning degrees and certificates and completing career education programs leading to good jobs; reducing the number of unnecessary units many students are taking to get their degree and eliminating achievement gaps once and for all.
- We believe in our students
- We believe students are resilient and bring valuable experiences and insights from their homes, communities, and cultural backgrounds
- We believe that having high expectations for our students will lead to greater academic success
- We believe in developing strategies based on student strengths
- We believe in connecting the academic rigor of content areas with our students’ lives
- We believe there is a significant difference between equity and equality
- We believe every student deserves to receive what they need to succeed (equity), not that every student receives the same resources, instruction, attention, etc. (equality).
- We believe if students aren’t achieving WE are not doing our jobs
- We believe in confronting our own beliefs about achievement gaps
- We believe in a shift from a position of cultural and racial color-blindness and neutrality to one of self-examination and anti-racist practice
- We believe it is important to understand our own racial/ethnic identities
- We believe in a culture of authentic care and respect
- We believe that words and actions matter
- We believe we must self-reflect and take ownership of our own mistakes
- We believe we should take action when we observe someone being treated unfairly or in a demeaning manner
- We believe in a shared responsibility to create a positive culture and to safeguard equity, inclusion, dignity, and respect