Beginning Fall 2018, Academic Senate Agendas and Minutes will be posted to BoardDocs.
|Correspondence Secretary||John Torres|
|Appointment Secretary||Carrie Consalvi|
|SJC Associate Faculty Representative||David Smith|
|MVC Associate Faculty Representative||Adam Manriquez|
|2020-2022||SJC Site Council||MVC Site Council|
|President||Ryan Sullivan||Leticia Luna-Sims|
Michelle Vogel Trautt
|Senator||Luis Mondragon||Anjeanette Obert|
Associate Faculty Representative
What is the Academic Senate?
The Academic Senate is the primary voice of faculty in academic and professional matters. Its elected members come from full time and associate faculty ranks, from both campuses, and from a broad array of programs. It is the only body in the district that represents both full time and associate faculty.
In creating the California Community College approach to shared governance, state statutes indicate that the faculty shall be incorporated into college deliberations regarding a variety of issues, ranging from curriculum to budget allocation processes and administrative evaluation. The Senate is a body representing the faculty in such issues, and it is the body that appoints faculty to committees, task forces, hiring procedures, and the like. The Senate is not a union; it is distinct from the MSJC FA, which represents the faculty in issues dealing with wage and working conditions.
Functions of the Academic Senate 10+1
Functions of the Academic Senate
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Contact: Dawn Witt