Skip Main Navigation

Federal Work Study Employment

Welcome to the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program at MSJC.

The goal of student employment is to provide work experience in the students’ field of interest and the needs of the hiring department.  Student employment is classified by two categories: Federal Work Study Student Employment and District Student Employment (Non-Federal).


Federal Work Study Student Employment (FWS) is a federal student financial aid program authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act.  Students must establish financial need according to federal guidelines.  The institution receives money from the Department of Education to fund the Federal Work Study program.

Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year and answer yes to the Federal Work-Study question on the form to be considered for the program.  There is no guarantee that a student will continue to receive work-study awards from one year to the next.  Students should complete the application process early to be considered.  FWS funds are limited.  Students may hold only ONE Federal Work-Study job at a time.


Eligibility for Federal Work Study Student Employment

  • Must complete a current year’s FAFSA and meet the March 2nd priority filing date.
  • Be matriculated at MSJC.
  • Be in an eligible Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status.
  • Not owe a repayment to any Title IV grant program nor be in default on any Title IV loans received at any institution.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. National or Permanent Resident.
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment status (six Title IV units) for each semester employed.
  • Must also be enrolled primarily for the purpose of pursuing a degree or certificate.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • The student seeking eligibility for Federal Work Study or CalWORKs Work Study must follow eligibility requirements established by the Financial Aid Office

District Student Employment (Non-Federal) consists of a student being hired in a specific department, utilizing that department’s district funding.  Click here for more information on how to apply for District Student Employment.