Skip Main Navigation

Dual Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

What is Dual Enrollment?
  • Dual enrollment is a program that allows qualified high school students to earn college and high school credit while meeting graduation requirements.
What are the advantages of Dual Enrollment?
  • Earn your college degree in less time
  • Eliminate duplication of coursework between high school and college
  • Save Money! Concurrently enrolled students are not required to pay tuition. All materials and books will be purchased by the student or by the participating high school and/or district.
  • Explore career fields before starting college
  • Easier transition to college
Can I receive both college and high school credit?
  • Yes. The student will earn both high school and college credit. If the student wishes to receive high school credit for a college class, a 3.0 unit or more one-semester college class will earn one semester of high school credit (5.0 credits). To determine how a college course fulfills a high school requirement see your high school counselor. Academic college courses that meet the University of California 'a-g' requirements will be given a weighted grade point and ranking on the high school transcript at the discretion of the high school.
Who can participate in Dual Enrollment?
  • Students must be high school students having the support of parents, principal and a high school counselor who verified appropriate college level capability based on assessment scores and/or program pathways.
Which courses are offered?
  • High schools are offering both general education and/or career technical education courses to eligible students.
Who teaches these courses?
  • Dual enrolled classes may be taught by approved MSJC Associate Faculty who are also high school teachers. Instructors use college curriculum and textbooks, and deliver a college-level course, which will require students to work at a higher level.
Where are these courses taught?
  • Dual enrolled classes are taught on the high school campus.
Do I have to be an MSJC student?
How do I get involved in the Dual Enrollment program?
  • Ask you High School Counselor how to get involved.
Where can I find out more information about the RTA "Go Pass"?