Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Help (new window)
Sign In
MSJC > Safety > Holiday Safety Awareness

Holiday Safety Awareness

Christmas Tree Safety 

  • Consider an artificial tree (they are much safer and cleaner).
  • A real tree should not lose green needles when you tap it on the ground.
  • Cut 1 inch off the trunk to help absorb water.
  • Leave the tree outside until ready to decorate.
  • The stand should hold at least 1 gal. of water.
  • A 6' tree will use 1 gallon of water every two days.
  • Mix a commercial preservative with the water.
  • Check the water level every day.
  • Secure the tree with wire to keep it from tipping.
  • Keep tree away from floor heaters, fire places, or other heat sources.
  • Use only UL-listed lights, and no more than 3 strands linked together.
  • Use miniature lights--which have cool-burning bulbs.
  • Turn off the Christmas lights when you sleep, or if you leave your home for very long.
  • Never use candles, even on artificial trees.
  • Clean the tree stand to improve the tree's water intake, use one capful of bleach to a cup of water.
  • Dispose of the tree properly.
  • NEVER BURN A REAL TREE IN THE FIREPLACE. 

Home Safety

  • Install a smoke detector or new batteries in the one(s) you have and TEST it.
  • Use only outdoor lights outside your home.
  • Examine light strings each year, discard worn ones.
  • Fasten the bulbs securely and point the sockets down to avoid moisture build up.
  • Connect no more than three strands together.
  • Never use indoor extension cords outside.
  • Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
  • Keep outdoor electrical connectors above ground and out of puddles and snow.
  • Unplug light string before replacing a bulb. Review the original package to verify proper wattage and voltage.
  • When connecting light strands, wrap a plastic bag around connections and tie ends with Teflon tape.
  • Never use electric lights on a metallic tree, use colored spot lights.
  • Make sure trees hung with X-mas lights are not touching power lines.
  • When using candles, place them a safe distance from combustibles.
  • Place candles in sturdy containers. Remember, hot wax burns kids.
  • Extinguish candles prior to going to bed.
  • Dispose of fireplace ashes into a metal container until cold.
  • After parties, check around and under sofa and chair cushions for smoldering cigarettes. (Provide lots of ash trays)
  • Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
  • Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.