NEW POLICY - As a result of migrating to a new Library Catalog/Circulation software, Full and Part time faculty must now present a MSJC faculty ID card in order to check out materials. The ID cards are free, and can be obtained from Enrollment Services.
CLASS ORIENTATIONS - Contact a librarian
- Faculty may schedule library orientations for their classes at any time during the semester.
- Orientations include an overview of library resources and services, and focus on searching the library catalog and databases, and formulating search strategies in appropriate resources.
- Orientations may be general or customized to a special assignment, and usually last from 40 minutes to an hour.
- Allow at least one week's notice in scheduling.
Instructors may place their ancillary class materials (see below for textbooks) on reserve by filling out a registration form at the library circulation desk, or you may print the RESERVED REGISTRATION FORM, fill it out, and bring it to the library with your reserved item. Note: a separate form must accompany each item.
Materials are processed and cataloged before becoming available to students. They are then shelved behind the circulation desk, and checked out to students for 2 hour library use.
Duplications of copyrighted VHS tapes, DVD's and CD's will not be accepted without proof of licensing by the copyright holder.
The Library staff is not responsible for knowing assignments related to reserved materials. The deadline for placing items on reserve is 3 weeks prior to the start of finals.
MATERIALS RECEIVED THE WEEK THAT CLASSES BEGIN MAY TAKE UP TO TWO WEEKS FOR PROCESSING, due to limited library staff. Please forewarn your students.
All notices to you regarding reserved materials are sent via MSJC e-mail addresses.
In order to insure that your reserved materials will be available to your students during the first week of classes, you must deliver them to the library at least two weeks before classes begin.
Library personnel are available during the breaks. Please call ahead to schedule a time to drop off your materials.
The Library does not purchase current TEXTBOOKS. However, you may donate a copy of your textbook to the Library by filling out a donation form at the library circulation desk, or you may print the TEXTBOOK DONATION FORM, fill it out, and bring it to the library with your textbook. Note: A separate form must accompany each textbook.
TEXTBOOKS are placed on a "self-service" shelf in the REFERENCE section of the library, and are available to students for library use only, on a first come, first served basis. NO CHECK OUT REQUIRED
You may reclaim your textbook at any time, however, unclaimed textbooks will become the property of the Library when no longer current.
- TEXTBOOKS received in the library the first week of classes may take up to two weeks for processing. Please forewarn your students.
- All notices to you regarding textbooks are sent via MSJC e-mail.
BLACKBOARD ACCESS TO ONLINE LIBRARY RESOURCES:
Proxy Server Information:
To create a permanent URL link in BlackBoard to one of the library's subscription databases, article from a database, e-book, or streaming media resource it is necessary to include the library proxy server prefix BEFORE the URL. This step will allow students to access the resource off campus using their BlackBoard username and password. For assistance please contact a MSJC librarian at 951 639-5450.
- VHS TAPES AND DVD'S check out for 1 week.
- May be reserved in advance to insure availability.
INTERLIBRARY LOANS (Order books from other libraries with online form)
- Available to current faculty and students.
- Acquired from fee-free libraries only.
- Allow two or more weeks for delivery.
SUGGESTIONS FOR PURCHASE OF MATERIALS
- Librarians accept recommendations from faculty any time during the year. However, requests received after February 15th may not be filled until the following school year.
- Formal request forms are available, or requests may be e-mailed to librarians with at least the following information:
- Title, ISBN or ISSN (if known)
- Requestor's name, number, e-mail address