Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
September 8, 2006
The meeting began at 3:00 p.m. Members Becky Elam, Catalina Cruz, Michael Beckham,
Keith Hanz, Gail Jensen, Karen Watts, Jennifer Marrs, Lee Dawson, Jennifer Pickens,
Paul Hert and visitor Rebecca Teague were present. Robin Steinback, Dennis Hogan,
and Maria Boer were absent. The fourth faculty member has not yet been determined.
- On motion by Gail Jensen and seconded by Catalina, the April 28, 2006 Minutes
- Welcome and introductions by Becky Elam. Faculty member co-chair will be
selected at the next meeting.
- Meeting dates and time for the semester were discussed. Karen will contact
faculty and student members for availability and e-mail October meeting details
- Committee Charge
The new committee was encouraged to review the Budget Committee website. The
committee was also asked to read the Budget Committee Charge and bring any
suggestions to the next meeting.
- Review Adopted Budget
- 2006-2007 Adopted Budget is for $98 million.
- State has granted the largest ever one-time funding to community colleges.
- MSJC enrollment is up 10% from last fall, up 2.5% from last year.
- Class scheduling increase is set for 6%.
- Utilities are $41,000 per day-$1.2 million of the total budget.
District is contracting for an energy audit (contractors submit proposals
and the District will select a contractor).
- The child care center continues to be financially stable.
- Major capital outlay concerns for 06/07 include:
- District match for the Technology building project is in excess
of $3.6 million.
- District must replace eroded pipes throughout the Menifee campus.
- MVC air conditioning units are failing as well as the energy management
- Strategies to fund urgent and necessary projects will be recommended
by Executive Cabinet to the Board for approval.
- Both campuses need more parking - by code the general fund cannot be
used for parking lots. Funding for parking lots comes from parking fees
- The District is in compliance with the Fifty Percent Law and will be
hiring several full-time faculty.
- Self Insurance Funds are used for disaster preparedness, self insured
losses, safety loss controls and insurance deductible is currently set
at $10,000 per incident.
- Committee Goals
- Program Review process update
- Grant updates
- Enrollment reports
- Facilities Projects update
- Funding "ergonomics" requirements
- Unfunded liabilities - GASB 45
- Meeting days and times to be approved at the next meeting.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes