Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
October 9, 2003
The meeting began at 3:31 p.m. Becky Elam (co-chair), Ron Bowman (co-chair),
Catalina Cruz, Bea Ganim, Karen Watts and Dennis Hogan were present. Gail Jensen,
Kristi DiMemmo, Don Robinson, Jennifer Pruett, Robin Steinback, Alma Cacho,
and Matt Zepeda were absent.
- On motion by Becky Elam and seconded by Catalina Cruz, the minutes for September
15, 2003 were approved.
- On motion by Dennis Hogan and seconded by Bea Ganim, the 2004-2005 Budget
Calendar was approved. It will go to Board in November.
- On motion by Karen Watts and seconded by Dennis Hogan, the 2004-2005 Faculty/Staff
Involvement Time Line was approved and will go to Board in November.
- Budget Proposal Form
This form has been used for several years and has been adequate in the past.
The Budget Proposal form links resource allocation to formal planning. The
Budget Proposal form was presented for discussion and member suggestions to
improve the process. Suggestions included estimates for:
Modifications will be brought to November's Budget meeting for further discussion.
- Downstream expenses
- Hidden expenses
- Maintenance expenses
- Utility and operating expenses
- Future upgrades
- Revenue Targets - Possible target areas that will least affect students,
faculty and staff such as travel, consultants, meals, equipment purchases,
supplies and off-site leases were discussed in a previous meeting. The committee
members will bring back to the next meeting a list of ten items they feel
District could do without.
- Distance learning is growing and may help save money by reducing off-site
- A question was raised about the Wellness Center and its continuance
during a time of serious budget cuts when other projects with higher priorities,
instructional equipment and supplies are clearly needed. The Wellness
Center is a goal identified in the Master Plan. The Master Plan established
priorities and goals for planning purposes. There was no provision in
the Master Plan to complete goals if the District budget was significantly
- Other - A van is needed on the MVC for field trips and athletic teams. Currently,
vans are checked out from SJC facilities. Vans are delivered to the MVC upon
request. If one is not available from District fleet or a driver is not available,
approval for a rental from Enterprise is given. Pros and cons included:
Research will be conducted on MVC van requests and van rentals for the past
year. The results will be brought to the next meeting for further discussion
and committee's recommendation.
- Security - some type of storage area would have to be created
- Vehicle maintenance
- Enterprise rental doesn't open until 9:00 AM which is too late for many
- Requestor would drive to SJC, pick up vehicle, drive back to MVC to
pick up students, and drive back to SJC for game (if a facilities driver
were not available).
- Next Meeting will be November 19, 2003 at 3:30 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes