Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
October 1, 2002
The meeting began at 3:06 p.m. with Dewey Heinsma (co-chair), Becky Elam (co-chair),
Catalina Cruz, Laurel Jones, Dennis Hogan, Ron Bowman, Don Robinson, John Norman,
Gale Ward, Darrell Taylor, Chandra Patterson, (ASB), Cynthia Martinez (ASB),
and Karen Watts present. Gail Jensen and Greg Estrada were absent.
- On motion by Ron Bowman and seconded by Dennis Hogan, the minutes for May
21, 2002 were approved.
- It was decided that future meetings will be at 3:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday
of each month in the SJC Board Room and will be linked with MVC.
- Catalina Cruz reported that the District's final figures for 2002/03 fiscal
year 50% Law are in compliance at 50.59%. The District must be in compliance
or will not receive full funding. The budget committee is concerned about
only having a .59% margin and will work to make recommendations for meeting
next year's 50% Law with an increased margin. Several suggestions were made:
- The business office will monitor budget codes more closely throughout
- Furniture specifically for classrooms will be identified
- Hiring additional full-time faculty is being researched and a good option
- Providing Health Services is still being considered
- Continuing to convert long-term temporary employees to permanent classified
- Creating a formula; Business Services will research formulas used by
other community colleges
- Changes to the 2003/04 Budget Calendar were suggested and approved by the
committee The revised calendar will be presented to the Board of Trustees
on November 14, 2002 for their approval.
- Governor's Final Budget
The Governor's Budget gave an additional $72M to the system, equivalent
to $2.4M for Mt. San Jacinto College. Although $1,289,000 of this amount
was allocated for growth, the Chancellor's office recommended budgeting
only for 50% of these funds. The remainder of funds is in instructional
equipment and scheduled maintenance projects with a decrease in categoricals
and the elimination of energy grant backfill.
- Meetings will be at 3:00 p.m. in room 200 on the following days:
- December 3, 2002
- January 7, 2003
- February 4, 2003
- March 4, 2003
- April 1, 2003
- May 6, 2003
- June 3, 2003
The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes