Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
November 5, 2002
The meeting began at 3:06 p.m. with Dewey Heinsma (co-chair), Laurel Jones,
Dennis Hogan, Ron Bowman, Chandra Patterson, (ASB), Gail Jensen, Greg Estrada
and Karen Watts present. Becky Elam (co-chair), Catalina Cruz, Don Robinson,
John Norman, Kristi DiMemmo and Brian Orlauski were absent.
- On motion by Ron Bowman and seconded by Dennis Hogan, the minutes for October
1, 2002 were approved.
- Shared Governance
In February 2002 changes to the Budget Committee Shared Governance Membership
and Charge were passed by the committee and submitted to College Council.
At this time, none of these changes have been acknowledged and committees
have been asked to reevaluate their memberships and charges. Voting on changes
is postponed until December's meeting and the committee will re-submit them
to College Council.
- State Block Grant and PFE status report was presented by Gail Jensen. The
committee would like to make sure that deadlines are established for identifying
and selecting projects to ensure that money is assigned and unused monies
are reassigned before it "disappears" back to the state.
- CalPERS report presented by Dennis Hogan. The current rate increase for
02/03 is 2.894%. Next fiscal year it will increase 9.527%; half a million
dollars. This increase may cause future adjustments for the District to remain
in compliance with the 50% Law.
- ASB Treasurer, Chandra Patterson, did research in response to the committee's
concern about the ASB negative budget. At this time, it is balanced due to
a carryover which the budget did not reflect.
- Student copies The District currently provides free copies to students in
the learning center, computer labs and tutorial center. Paper and printer
costs to the District have become a concern and must be offset by some method.
Several suggestions were made:
- Charging students lab fees
- Free or discounted copies with an ASB card
- Modifying software so that only selections of websites instead of entire
- ASB could subsidize
- A card usable campus-wide could be issued to students
- The next meeting is December 3, 3:00 p.m. in the Board Room.
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes