Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
May 8, 2003
The meeting began at 3:05 p.m. Becky Elam (co-chair), Dewey Heinsma (co-chair),
Ron Bowman, Matt Zepeda, Laurel Jones, Don Robinson, Gail Jensen, Gale Ward,
Betsy Sharp and Karen Watts were present. Liza Castillo, Catalina Cruz, and
Dennis Hogan, were absent. Invited guest Mark Dumas was present.
- On motion by Ron Bowman and seconded by Betsy Sharp, the minutes for April
1, 2003 were approved.
- Smart Card Follow up. Laurel Jones and Mark Dumas interviewed several schools
currently using CMS Diginet Print Management Services. Responses were very
positive and schools experienced only occasional problems that were taken
care of satisfactorily. Quality and response time were reported as good; no
one reported lack of service as a problem. Some had longer than expected setup
times but this could be easily resolved through careful planning.
Some schools reported that student printing/copying dropped off initially
but returned to normal within a year. Many schools reported that heavy usage
occurred by faculty, but, with print card services, were able to monitor department
usage and make necessary adjustments.
Schools were asked how long it took to break even. One indicated over 2 years
probably because they had too much equipment. Most said around a year.
Matt Zepeda reported that a survey of students showed that students would
rather pay per usage than pay a flat rate at registration.
USD has been using CMS for 13 years and gave some helpful information based
on their experience. Leasing is the best method with no up-front costs; their
print shop keeps records and handles cash. USD is very happy with CMS.
Laurel and Mark will work out a lease contract with CMS that includes a no-fault,
out-clause. Becky will review it before it is presented to the College Council
- Student ASB Report - Matt Zepeda.
- RCC staged a rally to protest budget cuts
- ASB participated in a fundraiser at Soboba.
- ASB revised their constitution and did a commendable job.
- Part of the new ASB constitution required a budget committee to be formed
and the treasurer is required to be on both budget committees.
- GRA qualifications for ASB officers now include only current year; students
are now required to keep their grades up while in office.
- ASB sponsored a talent show with cash prizes awarded and Dr. Kazi Nizam
- Students voiced a concern about receiving parking tickets during the
- Students want to know if faculty and staff paid parking is an option
- State Budget. The District is waiting for the Governor's May Revise and
hoping to see the cuts more evenly distributed among school systems.
- Next Meeting. Karen will poll members for the next meeting time.
The meeting adjourned at 3:55 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes