Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
March 4, 2003
The meeting began at 3:38 p.m. with Becky Elam (co-chair), Dewey Heinsma (co-chair),
Catalina Cruz, Dennis Hogan, Ron Bowman, Matt Zepeta, Bernadette Furr, Gail
Jensen, Betsy Sharp, Gale Ward and Karen Watts present. Laurel Jones, John Norman,
and Liza Castillo were absent.
- It was requested that the minutes regarding Program Review be changed as
Laurel Jones will be placed on
future April agenda.
On motion by Matt Zepeda and seconded by Ron Bowman, the adjusted minutes
for February 4, 2003 were approved.
- ASB Report. Some students are going to Sacramento to protest ASB fee raises
and other budget issues. They are going to try to talk with an assemblyman
and protest on the steps of the Capitol. ASB and student efforts have already
affected big changes in the Governor's Budget. There was a large turnout for
signatures on letters to State and a rally is planned for the Menifee campus
where students can learn about the budget cuts and sign letters. ASB is also
planning a vendor day to help raise alternative funding.
ASB will report on Advocacy participation and progress.
- State Budget Update. District will follow CCCO (California Community Colleges
Chancellor's Office) and the Community College League for a framework and
target for its budget cuts. District goals are:
- To petition the state to keep total CCC reductions proportionate to
K-12, UC, and CSU
- Budgets for CSU and UC are increased 2.5%
- K-12 total budget is more than eight times larger than the community
college total budget yet both are being reduced by $400 to $500 million.
- Protect base apportionment
- Maintain quality of programs and services
- Target reductions to areas that least affect students, faculty, and
staff such as travel, consultants, meals, equipment purchases, supplies,
cleaning off-site leases. Becky Elam will bring figures in these areas
to April meeting for committee review.
- Minimize disruption by targeting cuts where fiscal obligations have
not yet been incurred.
- The next meeting is April 1, 2003, 3:30 p.m. in the Board Room.
The meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes