Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
June 2, 2004
The meeting began at 3:35 p.m. Members Becky Elam (co-chair), Ron Bowman (co-chair),
Dennis Hogan, Catalina Cruz, Gail Jensen, Karen Watts, Martha Crawford, Robin
Steinback and visitor Ron Krimper were present. Kristi DiMemmo, Paul Hert, Matt
Zepeda and Bea Ganim were absent.
- On motion by Dennis Hogan and seconded by Karen Watts, the minutes for April
21, 2004 were approved.
- Governor's May Revise - Catalina Cruz
- According to the Chancellor of the California Community Colleges, over
175,000 students were prevented from enrolling in Fall 2003 because of
course reductions and fee increases and community colleges will continue
to turn away thousands.
- Conference Committee may approve California's Budget on time saving
the district from using reserve funds or seeking costly private financing.
- Proposition 98 Equalization - the governor's budget increased Prop 98
funds to Community Colleges significantly from 9.53% to 10.25%.
- Budget is still in deficit: 03/04 1%; and 04/05 2%
- Property Tax revenue to colleges was decreased by 20% but Apportionment
will increase. TRAN will have to be revised to meet cash flow demands.
(Revenues are not affected.)
- 3.65% enrollment growth funded approved by senate and assembly over
governor's 3%. This will not alleviate the chronic problem of unfunded
enrollment and more funding is clearly warranted.
- Differential fee of $50 for students with baccalaureate degrees rejected.
- The Governor proposed student fees at $26 per unit. Assembly wants to
reduce fees to $22 per unit funded with equalization funds.
- Subcommittees and Governor approved transfer of the Partnership for
Excellence funds into the general apportionment; the Senate approved maintaining
system wide reporting and accountability whereas the Assembly approved
establishment of new, cumbersome accountability goals on a district basis
with no new funds.
- District unemployment insurance premium rate has doubled-$62,000 to
$134,000. Committee will research and determine if a recommendation should
- 2.41% COLA is proposed in the May revise.
- ASB Report - no report
Next Meeting in August to be determined.
- All Budget Committee members are invited to Board of Trustees meeting June
26, 2004 for 2004-2005 Tentative Budget Presentation by Becky Elam.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes