Mt. San Jacinto Community College District
Budget Committee Meeting
April 21, 2004
The meeting began at 3:31 p.m. Members Becky Elam (co-chair), Ron Bowman (co-chair),
Dennis Hogan, Don Robinson, Paul Hert, Catalina Cruz, Gail Jensen, Karen Watts,
Matt Zepeda and Robin Steinback were present. Kristi DiMemmo, Karen Richter
and Bea Ganim were absent.
- On motion by Becky Elam and seconded by Gail Jensen, the minutes for March
17, 2004 were approved.
- District and State Budget Update - Catalina Cruz
- UC declined 7% of all eligible freshmen students due to governor's request
and budget reductions-the first time in four decades. Alternatives offered
those students included winter or spring admission or guaranteed transfers
from community colleges as juniors. Committee members questioned the effect
this will have on community colleges and our district. Our Board discusses
this often. In the past the Board has approved a 10% over CAP limit. History
shows us that operating at 30% over CAP is too much and takes decades
- District's budget is short $397,000 after new revenues and new expenditures
are worked in. Cutting consultants, travel, conferences and non-instructional
temporary classified employees will help balance the final budget.
- Tentative Budget does not include step increases for employees; the
May Revise may include COLA and unions will negotiate for COLA.
- District Budget Binders will be distributed soon. Vice Presidents will
distribute applicable sections to departments.
- ASB Report - ASB President, Matt Zepeda
- An ASB President from another college wrote to Matt about a concern
he has regarding the calculation of grade point averages for Cal Grant
qualifications. Units to determine Cal Grant eligibility are from Bachelor
Degree applicable courses and the letter reports his concern that all
course units are being used in calculations. Many eligible recipients
are being denied grant funds.
Next Meeting will be May 19, 2004 at 3:30 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.
Administration > Committees
> Budget Committee > Minutes